Friday, May 14, 2010

Therapy?

We've had a therapist coming over once a week for a few months now. I really like her but I dread when she comes. She comes to help Boo process through all of his feelings about adoption. She also comes to help me deal with my "junk" as I put it.

Let's face it. We all have "junk". None of us had perfect childhoods. We've all gone through a rough time here or there. Everyone could benefit from some sort of therapy at some point in their life. (disclaimer: I'm not judging anyone who doesn't go to therapy because it's not for everyone. I'm making a generalization).

Anyway, today I was dreading our appt. because I just didn't want to talk about myself. I didn't want to drudge up old wounds. It just feels "uncomfortable".

Apparently Boo feels the same way because when the therapist started working with him, he began RAGING. I won't go into all the details but it lasted two hours, ended with Boo and me sobbing (literally), and resulted in our living room being destroyed.

The thing about having a child with FASD is that there is no sure fire treatment. Therapy is helpful for most people. Most people can connect the dots, vent and heal. Boo has many wounds that may or may not heal. He may feel healed one day and the next forget the progress he made the day before. That is the way of FAS. So why keep going? Well, you throw everything you can at it and hope that some stuff sticks. That's what we need to do. This therapy may help Boo. It may not. We don't know but we can't give up. We'll keep trying different things until something works.

Well, I'm finding myself falling asleep as I type this so I'm going to call it a night. Until next time.......

No comments: