Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"I'm sorry, mommy"

Those three words brought me to my knees today. We are in a medication trial phase right now so things have been a little more roller coaster-esque for Boo. He has had several meltdowns in the last week or so. Today was no exception. He took a nap today and upon awaking, I told him that we would go to the Nature Center (a nice big hiking park near our house. It feels like a cross between the Hundred Acre woods and the Jungle Cruise ride at Disneyland).
Anyway, he yelled that he didn't want to go. He refused to get up and change (still in his pj's from the morning). He screamed, yelled, and tantrumed for a good hour. Everyone was anxious to go. We were all waiting on Boo to settle down. Finally, I was in the kitchen making some PB and J's to take with us and Boo comes up to me and says....."I'm sorry, mommy.....sometimes I just can't control my temper". I got down on my knees to his level, gave him a massive hug and told him that I was so proud of him for apologizing and that it's ok and I love him.

This was HUGE. Boo is such a sensitive soul. He shows empathy towards people. He is compassionate and loving. His self regulation is just broken. He can't control his anger sometimes and it scares him. It scares US. We don't want him to feel so angry and out of control all the time.

So today was rough but we made some progress.

**Although I have to add the disclaimer that it's 11:30 pm and Boo was just tantruming because he couldn't eat 3 ice cream sandwiches right now. One step forward, two steps back, right?

Until next time.........

1 comment:

Psycho Mom said...

that is huge!!! good for him! it is so hard to wait out those episodes. good work!