Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Every child is gifted. They just unwrap their packages at different times." -- unknown

Remember when you were a child and the end of the summer was approaching? Do you remember that mixture of feelings you had about going back to school? For me, it was usually dread mixed with a dash of excitement and a huge side of nausea.
I thought that once I was done with school I would never have that feeling again. Wrong.
Apparently this is something that (can) come back when your special needs child starts a new school (year).
Boo starts school next week. Not just "school" but KINDERGARTEN. Every mother has the tug of the heart when they send their child off to school for the first time. However, there are a few obstacles we have to jump over before I can reduce my feelings of Boo going to school from pure gut wrenching heartburn to the happy tears of another milestone met.
Just like in the quote above (see: title), Boo unwraps his package at a slower and unpredictable pace. He frustrates easy and it takes extreme patience to teach him. He is capable of learning but it doesn't come as easy for him as most 5 year olds. Boo is more like a 3 year old in many respects. So imagine if you will, sending your 3 year old to Kindergarten and expecting them to learn their letters, numbers, shapes, etc at a steady pace. Imagine sending your 2 year old to a Kindergarten class and expecting him to sit there during story time, classwork, etc. As you can see, Boo has some difficult days ahead. I have no doubt in his ability to do well. I know he WANTS to learn. He is excited to learn. (Thanks, UCLA ;) ). He just needs the understanding, patience and expertise of a caring teacher. He needs people on his team that are willing to READ the report from UCLA and implement the strategies used up there that helped Boo succeed!
I am already having conversations with the faculty that are not putting my mind at ease. I am already feeling a sense of "yeah, yeah, we know what to do". I am not a confrontational person but I can already feel my mama bear claws starting to emerge. The school WILL listen to me because I AM Boo's mother. I have spent the last 5 years advocating for my son. I have read, researched, and had him evaluated by countless professionals. The school WILL NOT close their ears to me.
Ok, I just had to get that out because in reality I will not make a scene...but I will make sure that Boo gets exactly what he needs.
I will update once I finalize his registration. 'Night!

2 comments:

My Little Wonders said...

Let them have it! ;) He is so blessed to have you as his Mom. :) (I look forward to hearing how it all works out.)

Mama Woman said...

I hope he has a beautiful adventure in school. My son, Frances started Kindergarten last week. He is doing great, me, not so good.