Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ding!!! Round 2!!!!!!

Well we are officially halfway done with the program. I am ready to be 100% done but we still have some work to do.
Boo is doing awesome! He enjoys being there (for the most part). He has made some improvements in his overall behavior, social skills, communication and academics!

We have made some great friends too. It's so neat to connect with parents who just "get it". No introductions are necessary sometimes. A few weeks ago, Boo had a VERY difficult time walking to the car. It was a full blown screaming raging tantrum complete with biting, kicking, scratching, yelling, screaming, etc. I was LITERALLY wrestling Boo into the car while trying to guard the car next to us from getting hit with our car door that Boo was kicking. I started to break down and cry. I felt totally helpless and like I didn't know what to do. I knew I needed to call up to Boo's classroom and ask for help from the teacher but I couldn't let go of Boo to get my phone and I was so choked up from getting "beat up" by Boo that I couldn't talk. Right at this moment, another mother (of a child in the same program as Boo) appeared. She said "What can I do to help?" I literally just handed her my phone and said "please call upstairs". By this time, Boo was starting to calm down. This mom (angel is more like it) started talking softly to Boo. She got him calm then gave me a huge hug. I was literally dripping sweat and my face was wet with tears and she just hugged me and said "It's ok...". OH MY Goodness!!!! I can't tell you how much that meant to me right at that moment. She knew what I was going through because she has a child similar to Boo. Her empathy is what saved me that day.
Sometimes it is a lonely road we walk until someone comes along side us and gives us a little nudge :)

**I have wonderful friends with and without special needs children who are extremely supportive and I can't imagine them not in my life but I wanted to share this example of another mom who I had only "seen" but not met who knew EXACTLY what I needed that day. She knew the words that automatically calmed Boo down. She knew not to use certain phrases and to use a soft tone of voice. All of these things she knew to do because she herself has a son like mine.

No comments: