Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Third day of school = staying home sick

Boo woke up with a low grade fever this morning so we had to stay home. It actually worked out really well because we got to sort of relax. He's only been in the program for two days but they have been INTENSE. He has done so well. He has a hard time getting there in the morning but again it's a phenomenal program. There is so much support there that it's almost overwhelming.

I have been having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this. I knew what we were getting into. I planned and hoped and prayed for this to happen and yet....once again I find myself anxious. I thought once he was in the program I would feel at peace and at ease. I find myself worried and anxious that they will either 1. NOT see what we see and therefore think we are totally crackers for bringing him to the program or 2. He will wind up showing his full potential and then some that they will give us an even more dismal prognosis than we already have.

I already get the feeling from the staff that they are on to my anxiety. I feel like I'm being analyzed just as much as Boo! Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing. I just hope that over time they will truly get to know me and Boo well enough to know that all my anxiety and fears that I'm showing right now are not necessarily indicative of my overall parenting of Boo thus far. In other words, I am not continuously projecting my anxiety onto Boo. I am very patient with him. In fact I am MORE patient with him than with my other three children (I'm ashamed to say).

I have had so many professionals try to tell me what's wrong with Boo. I've heard everything from "You held him too much as a baby and that's why he is the way he is" to "He has conduct disorder and needs to be hospitalized immediately". I think I deserve to feel a little anxious and worried that history will repeat itself and I will walk away with another wrong answer :( I know this isn't going to happen but it's going to take me some time to build up my confidence in this new program. I have high hopes. I truly believe that this is the best place for Boo....but I'm still testing the waters.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!

No comments: