Thursday, May 14, 2009

7th floor or bust!!!!!

What a whirlwind of events the last few weeks has been! The boys have had 5 Dr's appts in the last two weeks! It's all been very good though because Boo is FINALLY starting the ECPHP next week! I still can't believe this is happening. We went up there the other day (UCLA) to do the admission and intake. I spent two hours with a social worker, the director of the program, the nurse and one of the teachers giving them a total history on Boo. They asked a million questions and I gave them as much info as I possibly could. This of course was in addition to the millions of questionaires I had already filled out. They are very thorough and so supportive!

It was hard to walk into a building that is labeled "Neuropsychiatric" facility with my 5 year old child. He's too young to really grasp "where" he is. He just thinks he's going to a fun preschool that's going to help him. I think I need to adapt my thinking as well.

I have a really good (peaceful) feeling about this new adventure we're about to embark upon. I feel that the people who run this program are top notch. They know what they are doing and they CARE. They want to help him. They want to understand him.

Boo got to go into his class for a couple of hours while I talked to the staff. He quickly made a friend with one of the teachers. The great thing about this program is there is always either one on one interaction or very very small groups. Boo will have someone shadowing him basically at all times. He will have someone to help him through his difficult moments. He will also receive speech, OT and PT therapies!
As we were leaving he told me "Mommy, I like this school because I didn't get in trouble." Ughhh that broke my heart! He had a great "intro" to the program but it won't always be that easy. The staff will push him. They need to see him melt so they can give him the skills to cope with his feelings. The director told me that they will try different techniques to see what works best for Boo. They treat each child as an individual. There is no blanket behavior mod for the class. I am so grateful for this opportunity. I am so grateful that Boo is going to be in such good hands.

I'm frustrated at the fact that if we didn't have our private insurance, Boo would not get this treatment. There are so many other children out there like Boo that will not get an accurate diagnosis due to insurance (or lack thereof). They will be labeled as defiant. They will not be understood or given the proper tools to help them in life. Boo is so complicated. He had so many strikes against him from the get go. However, I am choosing to believe that he will conquer his challenges. He will walk through this storm and come out a strong little man. He is an amazing child. God is awesome! He has blessed OUR family with this little soul who is sweet and charming and smart and FULL of life. He has a determined spirit. He WILL learn how to live with FASD and Autism. He WILL.

Ok, well I am off to bed. Tomorrow is our last day to sleep in (until 8). Next week we will all be up by 6am to get out the door. I will update next week. I will also pass on any info I receive that might help anyone reading my blog. Thanks for reading!!!

No comments: