Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bo Brag....

I know I tend to post more about Boo and his challenges/triumphs so I thought I'd give a Bo update!

My sweet third child is honestly one of the most empathetic and compassionate children I know. Of course I'm biased as his mother, but truly he is! If someone is upset, he is always right there to comfort them. I am constantly telling him to never change or lose his ability to empathize with people because it's such a wonderful gift!

It is not easy being Boo's older brother. Bo has the patience of a saint (most of the time ;) ).

It is the end of the school year and we are trying to tie up loose ends and get as much schoolwork finished as possible before we take our break. Bo HATES to do his braille. He absolutely detests it. It's hard for him to concentrate and using a Brailler takes concentration and strong fingers. Through it all, and with the guidance, EXTREME patience and kindness of his Braille teacher, Bo has succeeded in learning not only the entire Braille alphabet but also 30+ contractions (basically shorthand for Braille). He is not yet reading well with his fingers. He still wants to read the dots on the paper instead of feeling them. That will come in time but for now he is able to use his Brailler to type sentences, paragraphs and letters. I am so proud of him for his hard work!

Bo may never "need" to use Braille but then again, he may. There is no guarantee that his vision will be stable forever. His prescription has gotten stronger over the last couple of years and most likely will continue to do so as he gets closer to the teenage years. He needs to have as many back up plans for reading as possible. He LOVES to read and it is definitely a strength of his.

That's all for now....until next time......(I promise more Bo updates on the way)

No comments: