Monday, January 12, 2009

SCREAMS ...

I was reading one of my favorite websites (FAS resources) and found this bit of info. I thought I would share because it's simple bullet points that seem to really lay out solid tips for parents of FAS kids.

  • Structure with daily routine, with simple concrete rules
  • Cues (again and again and again), can be verbal, audio, visual, whatever works
  • Role models (family & TV), show them the proper way to act, children mimic us
  • Environment with low sensory stimulation (small classroooms, not too much clutter)
  • Attitude of others, understanding that behavior is neurological, not willful misconduct
  • Medications, vitamin supplements and healthy diet are quite helpful
  • Supervision - 24/7 (lack of impulse control and poor judgment at all ages)


  • This was written by Teresa Kellerman, a mother and advocate of people living with FAS/FAE.
    Here is a link to the full article: http://www.come-over.to/FAS/ScreamsArticle.htm

    3 comments:

    Carrie said...

    You know what is interesting is that these are the same tips that we follow for my son who is 8 with ADHD.

    Carrie
    http://www.littlemisshannah.com

    Kisses For Noah said...

    You're right, Carrie. It's basically about structure and routine. Boo has ADHD also and I've read similar tips on other sites. Supposedly the structure and routine has to be even more strict with FAS/FAE. One researcher told me that he should be sitting in the same spot at dinner, same spot in the car, etc...
    It's hard to be that hardcore when there are other issues compounding the need for routine.
    Thank you for sharing Hannah's website. I'll be praying for her and for your family :)

    rachel said...

    these are great tips and my kid is 4 years.